How To Onboard Modbus Devices
Here is a step-by-step guide for onboarding Modbus Devices
📺Do you prefer watching instead of reading the walkthrough, then check the video below.
1. Go to the portal (panel.bace-iot.com) and log in with your username and password:
Press continue when prompted to access BACE Cloud:
2. Once you are on the home screen, click on the “Modbus Devices” button to add a new device to your dashboard:
3. Click the “Add new gateway” button:
4. Read the overall steps and click “Let's Start” to proceed:
5. Select the gateway you want to connect your Modbus device to. Corresponding IoT ID is on the sticker located on BACE gateway housing. Then press on the “Next > Set Gateway” button:
6. Set a name for the template label:
Select the Modbus Mode. Choose between Modbus RTU and Modbus TCP. You can find this information in the manual of your Modbus Device:
Select the Baud Rate. You can find this information in the manual of your Modbus Device:
Select the interval. The interval is the time frequency in which every register will be read by BACE gateway and sent to BACE IoT Platform. Press the “Next > Set Modbus Devices” button to proceed:
7. Set a Slave ID for your Modbus Device.
Set the Byte order and the Word order. For both, choose between Little Endian and Big Endian. You can find this information in the manual of your Modbus Device:
You can add another Modbus device by clicking (+) below Slave ID. When you are finished with adding devices, click the “Next > Add Registers” button:
8. Here you can define registers for your Modbus Device.
First, set the Label and the Unit to be shown on your dashboard. You can find the appropriate values to set the Register Start and Scale magnitudes in the manual of your Modbus Device.
Then, set Register Type (Holding or Input), Data Type and Access Mode. Fill this information per instruction per your Modbus Device manual:
You can also add a new register, and/or duplicate one of the registers that you already have. When you are finished with the registers, press “Apply”:
9. You can instantly review the information you just set. If anything needs to be changed, you can press the “Edit” button. You can return to the Modbus Devices overview by clicking on the “Go to Modbus Devices” button. If you click the “click here” link (as shown in the picture), you will go to the overview of the Modbus Device you just connected:
10. You can now see that your Modbus Device is linked. Click on the Modbus Devices area to see the details:
- 11.Congrats! You have just connected a Modbus Device to BACE gateway and you should be able to see information from the Modbus device! If you want to make some changes click Configure, or you can connect a new Modbus Device to another gateway by clicking Add New Gateway: